The south of Tasmania is going into a snap lockdown from 6pm tonight to prevent transmission of the disease in the community.
Premier Peter Gutwein said the COVID-positive NSW man who absconded from hotel quarantine had not been cooperative, which led to inconsistencies and non disclosure of information.
A primary contact of the man has also left home quarantine, has been fined, and is now in hotel quarantine.
"As I have said many times, the safety of Tasmanians is of the utmost importance. It has been our singular goal from day one to keep Tasmanians safe.
"We can't continue to wait to find out what has been going on ... on Public Health advice, as a result of the circumstances we now face, there will be a three-day snap lockdown in southern Tasmania.
"This will commence on 6pm tonight, and be in place for three days, and end on 6pm Monday 18, subject to Public Health advice."
Meanwhile, rumours circulating about a possible snap lockdown earlier on Friday has resulted in an unprecedented number of people heading to supermarkets to stock up on supplies.
The lockdown comes after the 31-year old man from New South Wales escaped from hotel quarantine in Hobart on Monday, and was later found by police on Tuesday afternoon.
On Thursday the Bridgewater Woolworths supermarket was listed as an exposure site, with any person in that store between 3.15pm and 4.30pm on October 12 advised to isolate.
Also on Thursday, two students from East Derwent Primary School were sent home from school and tested for the virus, returning negative results.
The Woolworths exposures sight is in addition to the flights, and airport bathrooms that were also listed as exposure sites.