Dugald Saunders is hoping Sydneysiders will get a warm welcome when they set foot in Dubbo from November 1.
The state Member for the Dubbo electorate says the high double-jab rate in the hub of the west has prepared it for more visitors and tourists.
"We do need to take advantage of that to give business the boost it needs heading into next year," Mr Saunders said.
The state government has extended the ban on travel to the regions by two weeks because some country communities have low rates of vaccination against COVID-19.
Opening up the bush to metropolitan visitors when the state reached the 80 per cent double-jab rate was part of the roadmap out of lockdown.
But the NSW Cabinet met on Thursday and opted to play it safe.
Deputy Premier and state Member for Bathurst Paul Toole said the NSW government had "a responsibility to make sure that we keep our regional communities safe".
"It's important that we don't actually open up businesses and then ... case numbers escalate putting those communities and those businesses in jeopardy," he said.
On Thursday morning Mr Saunders was supportive of an extension to the travel ban to protect communities with lower rates of vaccination.
"But I think for our region, people are absolutely ready to see not just visitors from other regions but also from Sydney," he said.
"The average in Sydney is around 80 per cent double-vaccinated.
"So it's the same rate as we have. So there is no need to be worried about people coming from Sydney.
"They are in exactly the same place as we are."
The MP urged Dubbo to roll out the red carpet.
"For us it's about saying 'Welcome, come and see us again'," he said.
"We want them to spend some money and enjoy what we have to offer."
Mr Saunders said tourism and hospitality businesses in particular had been affected by the lockdown.
"We have to get some money flowing back into that part of the economy," he said.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: