The Dubbo Westview Drive-In operator says it's frustrating he's not permitted to open and it doesn't feel like there's only one rule for events and venues during the state's COVID-19 lockdown.
Jason Yelverton says it's difficult to understand why a high-profile horse race in Sydney may be able to go ahead with a crowd of 5000 people next month.
He also noted public pools can reopen from next week.
"And yet what I regard as probably the safest business in Dubbo is not allowed to reopen," he said of the drive-in.
I can't work it out, very frustrating.Drive-in operator Jason Yelverton
"I can't work it out, very frustrating."
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said at Wednesday's COVID update that as the state reached the 70 per cent double-dose vaccination mark she anticipated there would be major events seeking exemptions, but the government would address "everything on a case by case approach, and in a safe approach".
Mr Yelverton this week said his venture at the drive-in would not be continuing beyond the coming few months for a combination of reasons.
Dubbo's COVID lockdown entered a seventh week on Wednesday.
Mr Yelverton reported putting a plan to the health minister more than a week ago, but said he was yet to receive a reply.
He questioned how stores with people "streaming out" with newly-purchased garden products were "any safer or any more essential" than the drive-in.
He said businesses that were drive-through were open, serving through a door so people weren't coming into the premises, which his business also did.
The government's road map to reopening, which includes double-dose vaccination for entry to businesses when the state hits 70 per cent vaccination, has also created questions.
"I don't think there's still any clear picture of what the future looks like, and what costs are going to be passed on to business operators to enforce regulations and rules," Mr Yelverton said.
"To be honest, putting someone in someone's face, every single person who comes through the door to check if they've had their double vaccine, is that putting bottlenecks or people in front of people that we don't need to.
"...We just have to wait and see, and we've been talking to [Dubbo MP] Dugald [Saunders], we've been talking to some people at council."
"...So I don't know what the future will look like and if we were to reopen, what costs we're going to incur to do it and even if it's worth it."
The Daily Liberal invited a response from health minister Brad Hazzard.
In response the Ministry of Health referred the Daily Liberal to the premier's comments at the Wednesday update.
Ms Berejiklian said they would take a case-by-case approach, as they had done previously during COVID.
"Specific organisations have approached us to say 'can we please have an exemption', the health experts give us that advice and then government makes decisions," she said.
"We're not in the mood to do that ahead of us getting to the 70 per cent, given that we don't know when the 70 per cent date is, we don't want to give anybody unrealistic expectations and therefore we're being very cautious, and making sure we stick to the current plan until we at least get to the 70 per cent double-dose."
The premier said it was important not to put ore pressure on to the hospital system.
"And that's why we do need to take a cautious approach and I know it's frustrating and people need to wait but I'd much rather wait a couple of weeks for some of these things than risk having the cases go through the roof or I should say having the number of people in intensive care go through the roof, so if it's only a couple of weeks, I just ask everybody for that patience," she said.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: