A household on Fitzroy St has had a close call overnight with what could have been a serious fire.
Station Commander at Dubbo Fire Station, John Poulos, said it was a near miss.
"Dubbo Fire and Rescue attended the property on Fitzroy St at approximately 8pm on Thursday night to find smoke coming from the home," he said.
"The residents had evacuated the home so crews went in to double check everyone was out and to confirm their was no fire forming.
"Crews cleared the home of smoke, checked for any potential gas leaks and declared the site safe soon after."
One resident was assessed and treated on site by ambulance officers for smoke inhalation.
Commander Poulos said that people need to be aware of the potential hazards within their home.
"In this case a resident left a pot unattended on a gas stove," he said.
"The gas ring was too large for the actual pot and the handle started to melt.
"It was fortunate the residents had working smoke alarms as this has allowed them to evacuate and call 000, which just shows how important smoke alarms are for safety.
"People need to remember that any heat source or flames, including cooking, can be hazardous.
"The biggest issue we see is people frying or cooking with oil, which when it gets too hot can burst into flames.
"When cooking you should never leave things unattended and always make sure the appropriate equipment is being used."
We depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.