Under 18 sporting competitions across the state can start from July 1 but senior sporting clubs must remain patient as they hope for a return to the field.
Deputy premier John Barilaro was joined by Health Minister Brad Hazzard and Acting Minister for Sport, Geoff Lee, on Tuesday to give an update on easing restrictions.
Junior sport can start from July 1 but it's near-certain things will be looking different, with measures likely to be taken to limit crowds.
Sport Australia had last week recommended only parent attend junior sporting matches and grandparents to stay away.
But Hazzard said four weeks between now and the set start date gives competitions and local councils time to plan.
Training sessions will remain in groups of 10 for now.
"They had indicated to use they would like some time and they [competitions] have effectively been cryogenically frozen and they're about to thaw out become unfrozen and get back on deck," Hazzard said.
"It will be great to see the young people out on the paddocks again and enjoying the playing fields."
The Dubbo and District Junior Rugby League was one of many sporting groups which had previously pencilled in July 18 as a start date.
While things could return a little sooner now, it's near-certain the situation at every ground and court will be far different to what it has been in the past.
"It's one of the big concerns," Hazzard said of crowds.
"We know that children are generally not as vulnerable to this virus and certainly not super spreaders, as they are with flu viruses.
"But parents and adults certainly are much more vulnerable. So [Chief Health Officier] Dr. Chant and her team have been very conscious of the fact that there's probably going to have to be some limits.
"Mum, Dad, the grandparents, and aunts and uncles down by the footy field watching the game yelling 'go for it' might not be possible for a little while.
"We might need to limit the parents but that's what they're going to work through with these sporting associations."
In regards to senior sport, the wait goes on for an update.
"We're working on that at the moment," Lee said.
"It's that balance between looking at what's good to maintain health for our community, we need to have health at the forefront and we'll be taking advice from the chief health scientist and the minister [Hazzard] for the over 18s and we'll announce it in due course, once those details are worked out."
The return of junior sport is one step towards normalcy, though and Lee had no doubt the younger athletes and their parents would be delighted by the news.
"NSW loves sport, and I am so pleased clubs and organisations will now be able to plan their fixtures list for their seasons to resume," he said, while also praising the health benefits.
"Thousands of kids can return to community sport July 1. It's so important, so important not only for the mental well being but for their physical fitness. It's a great step forward."