Construction of Dubbo's cross-city pipeline may take less than four months.
Tenders for the multimillion-dollar project opened this week.
Dubbo Regional Council chief executive officer Michael McMahon says they will remain open until February 18.
"Given the short tender period, we anticipate construction on this pipeline will begin in early March, and the completion scheduled for June 2020," he said.
The pipeline is among projects being developed by the council to boost potable groundwater supplies in the event Burrendong Dam runs dry later this year.
They are being funded with $30 million from the state government.
The pipeline will bring recycled water from the Dubbo Sewage Treatment Plant into the city to replace non-potable groundwater used for irrigation, and in turn take the groundwater to the John Gilbert Water Treatment Plant.
The council also hopes the pipeline can help provide big water users who don't need "full potable water" with recycled water, and make it possible to trade it for groundwater belonging to irrigators.
Its ambition for the pipeline extends to the storing of recycled water in the Upper Macquarie alluvial aquifer.
The pipeline project will involve the laying of 19 kilometres of pipes.
"Dual" pipes for the separate movement of groundwater and recycled water will cover eight of the 19 kilometres.
"The pipework will be installed underground along the road corridor that council manages or on council-owned land," Mr McMahon has told the community previously.
The tender documents can be found at www.dubbo.nsw.gov.au.