A FAMILY has had a very lucky escape from their house after a fire ignited in the early house of this morning.
Firefighters were called to a home on Laughton Street in South Dubbo at 1.30am on Thursday following reports of a house fire.
Fire and Rescue Dubbo Station Officer Chris Cusack said crews arrived just in time.
"When we arrived there was a fire under the carport of the house," he said.
The carport is attached to the house and Station Officer Cusack said firefighters had to work quickly after they arrived.
"We were able to stop the fire spreading too far into the house," he said.
MAP: The street where the fire occurred
"There's mainly just smoke damage to the house."
Police and ambulance crews were also called to the scene and paramedics assessed the three adults and one-year-old child who were in the house. Nobody was taken to hospital.
The fire is believed to have started when ash from the home's fireplace was put in a bin which was located in the carport.
"It's a great advertisement for smoke alarms ... they [the home's occupants] were sound asleep and the alarm woke them up," Station Officer Cusack said.
"I'd also like to remind people to properly extinguish the ash before putting it in the bin."
People should water down the ash from the fireplace and ensure there is no smoke or glowing embers before disposing of it.
Love local news?
Why not subscribe.