Two Dubbo residents have been charged with four counts of failing to ensure their children attend the school they are enrolled at.
The NSW Department of Education and Communities launched legal action against the pair, who are understood to be the parents of four children aged 11, 13,14 and 15 years.
Three of the children are enrolled at the Dubbo College Delroy Campus, while the youngest child is enrolled at Buninyong Public School, documents presented to Dubbo Local Court on Monday revealed.
Legal action is rare.NSW Education and Communities Department spokesperson
To protect the children's privacy, the Daily Liberal has not named the accused.
Legal action like this was rare, a spokesperson from the Education and Communities Department said.
"It is a last resort when families have not responded to the support that is offer through the home school liaison team and schools," the spokesperson said.
"Public schools have a range of strategies to support parents whose children are not attending school satisfactorily.
"Improving attendance may involve a school's learning and support team, linking with appropriate support networks or the assistance of specialists with the home school liaison program.
"In circumstances where a breach of compulsory schooling orders occurs further action may be taken against a parent in the Local Court.
"The result of court action can be the imposition of a community service order or a fine."
The alleged offenders are accused of being in breach of the NSW Education Act.
READ ALSO: Wongarbon next on list for road sealing
That law makes schooling compulsory for all young children in the state.
While the Education and Communities Department initiating legal proceedings against parents is a rare occurrence, it is not uncommon in regional communities.
Similar legal action was initiated against four people in Orange last year.
Two of those people were convicted, fined $660 and named in local media.
The matter returns to court on May 20.