The Dubbo unit of the NSW State Emergency Service (SES) received 29 requests for assistance related to Wednesday’s early morning storm.
Crews were called to multiple jobs where trees had come down on houses, fences or in yards, NSW SES western zone deputy commander Phil Lalor said.
The volunteers worked through the night, tackling the most urgent jobs, he said.
Sunrise revealed the extent of the damage in the city, with trees knocked down in multiple locations in Dubbo’s central and south areas.
After hours in the field, the volunteer crews stepped down, but will be back out this afternoon to complete the remaining jobs, Mr Lalor said.
It was the second time in a matter of days the orange overalls had been donned, and with storm season continuing until March, it may not be the last time.
“Crews from Dubbo were busy over the weekend, they attended to a number of jobs that occurred on Sunday night and then they were busy again last night, so the damage and the cost would certainly be adding up,” Mr Lalor said.
NSW SES is urging people to take steps to reduce damage in the event of a storm.
“Storms are considered one of the costliest natural disasters in Australia,” Mr Lalor said.
“It’s [Wednesday morning’s storm] a timely reminder for people to prepare their properties for storms.
“There are simple things they can do like making sure they trim their overhanging branches, that they clean out their gutters… to make their properties more prepared for storms.
“Tying down things down in their yard so they don’t become launched when the winds come up.”
More than 100 homes and businesses in the Dubbo, Wellington and surrounding areas remain without electricity after wild weather overnight.
Work had already restored power to thousands of homes by mid-morning and would continue throughout the day, Essential Energy reported in an update.
The early morning storms caused unplanned power outages for more than 3000 homes and businesses at Dubbo, Wellington and the surrounding area, Essential Energy northern regional manager Mark Summers said.
“Crews worked as quickly as safety allowed and power was restored to most homes and businesses by 4.30am this morning with a number of additional unplanned power outages reported by customers since this time,” he said.
“In Dubbo, Wellington and the surrounding areas there are currently 36 separate unplanned power outages affecting a total of 108 homes and businesses.
“Essential Energy crews will continue to work today to restore power for all customers as quickly as safety allows.”
State Emergency Service volunteers have also had a busy night of call-outs and works will continue throughout the day.
WILD weather that passed through Parkes and Dubbo overnight has brought down trees and cost thousands of dollars worth of damage.
Wind gusts of up to 98km/h, lightning and rain swept through the region just before midnight and left thousands of people without power.
The NSW State Emergency Service (SES) received 68 requests for help overnight in Parkes with a further 24 call outs in Dubbo.
SES spokesman Neil Wiblin said most calls were for trees and branches that had fallen down onto homes, businesses and roads.
“The Parkview Motor Inn suffered significant roof damage, Parkes Railway Station lost a roof off a signalling hut and there were multiple homes that suffered significant roof damage,” he said of the call outs in Parkes.
“The main thing was the damaging winds.”
In Dubbo, emergency services were called to a property on Fitzroy Street in Dubbo at around 1.30am after a tree fell on a house.
They were also called to Fairview Street for another tree down.
By 8am on Wednesday, thousands of people remained without power, data from Essential Energy shows.
The largest blackouts include ones in:
- Parkes – 3018 customers without power
- Tomingley – 20 customers without power
- Manildra – 20 customers without power
- Larras Lee – 37 customers without power
- Stuart Town – 59 customers without power
- Elong Elong – 65 customers without power
- Coonamble – 88 customers without power
- Gulargambone – 57 customers without power
- Marthaguy – 296 customers without power
Mr Wiblin said calls for help are still coming into the SES this morning.
“People should call 132 500 if they suffered any storm damage,” he said.