Flying Fruit Fly Circus has positive message in Dubbo show

The days of playing outside with your friends and using your imagination is being re-imagined in an exhilarating new show that is coming to Dubbo this month.

The Flying Fruit Fly Circus’ show JUNK explores the changing ways of childhood and is set in a time before children had access to computers, television and expensive toys.

The show is set in 1940s rural Australia and follows the story of a child who is overprotected by his parents.

Themes in the show explore if we as adults overprotect our own children in 2018 and what the boundaries of risk are.

Children, parents and grandparents will be entertained by the show, said executive director of the Flying Fruit Circus Richard Hull.

Mr Hull has been with the Circus since 2012.

He has extensive experience in theatre and the performing arts both in Australia and the UK working as a producer and administrator.

Mr Hull said the show is performed entirely by young adults aged between 10 and 18 years.

About 70 per cent of the 17 young artists in the show are from the Albury/Woodonga region, while the other 30 per cent come from Western Australia, South Australia and the Northern Territory.

“I think audiences will be drawn into an engaging time of highly technical and professional Circus acts, which are all performed by kids,” Mr Hull said.

The show was like any other Circus tour, Mr Hull said.

“It’s a large scale, entertaining, funny and touching show,” he said.

The show was created two years ago  and Mr Hull said they have enjoyed great success, winning various theatre related awards and performances at iconic Australian venues including the Sydney Opera House.

“It’s been a runaway success for us,” Mr Hull said.

“And it’s also great for the kids.. I think the audience will experience something unique.”​

Dubbo Regional Theatre and Convention Centre manager Linda Christof said they are thrilled to be able to present this production during the school holidays.

“Don’t be surprised if after the show the kids put down their ipads and switch off Netflix to explore the back shed to see what they can invent,” she said.

Tickets are on sale now from or the Theatre Box Office on 6801 4378.

The show is being held on Saturday, April 21 at 6 pm.