Lateesha's father welcomes murder trial

MICK Peet, the father of Lateesha Nolan, has applauded the news Malcolm Naden will stand trial on two murder charges next year, almost eight years after Naden allegedly killed his cousin and the partner of another cousin.

"I really welcome the move to go straight to trial," Mr Peet told the Daily Liberal from his Bundaberg home.

"There is so much heartbreak to so many people and when trials go on for years it makes the heartbreak worse," he said.

Naden, who was on the run from police for seven years until his capture west of Gloucester in March this year, waived his right to a committal hearing in Central Local Court.

He will stand trial in February for the alleged strangulation of Kristy Scholes and murder of his cousin, Lateesha Nolan, who disappeared in 2005.

Mr Naden appeared in court via audio-visual link from Long Bay Jail wearing an orange prison uniform, with a freshly shaved head and short beard.

When magistrate Julie Huber asked if he could hear the proceedings he replied: "Yes, fine thank you.''

She granted the application by his legal representative, Richard Wilson, to waive the right to a committal hearing on several charges.

Mr Naden is charged with strangling Ms Scholes in a bedroom of his grandparents' home in Dubbo in June, 2005, and the suspected murder of Ms Nolan, who has not been found since she was reported missing from Dubbo in January, 2005.

He is also charged with the attempted murder of a policeman who tried to capture him from a bush camp.

Mr Wilson indicated his client wished to go straight to trial next month on several break and enter, stealing and assault charges - all related to his time on the run.

Mr Peet said he would be attending the trial.

"I really hope in the near future my daughter's remains can be found and she is laid properly to rest," he said.


Discuss "Lateesha's father welcomes murder trial"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.