Access to ten websites containing child abuse material has been blocked by the Australian Federal Police and officers are tracing the online presence of visitors to the sites.
The websites, hosted on domains associated with Cocos (Keeling) Islands, were responsible for the distribution of almost one million child abuse images and videos, AFP said.
An investigation into the identify of administrators, contributors and users is ongoing after the websites were disabled on October 10.
"These videos and images show real children being exploited, physically harmed and traumatised for the perverse gratification of offenders," AFP acting commander Tim Stainton said.
"Each time these files are shared it perpetuates the harm caused to these children," he said.
Police are gathering information on IP addresses that continue to access the site and have recorded "tens of thousands" of attempted visits from around the world.
Relevant international law enforcement agencies will be notified as IP addresses and identities are uncovered, AFP said.
Visitors to the sites will see a takedown notice and will not have access to child abuse content that was previously hosted.
IN OTHER NEWS:
Domain names in the Cocos (Keeling) Islands have been flagged for heavy dissemination of abuse material worldwide, The Internet Watch Foundation said.
Cocos (Keeling) Islands Shire President Aindil Minkom said "the result of many months' collaboration and working with the AFP and other agencies has proven to be a huge success and we thank all those involved".
Help is available:
If you or someone you know is impacted by child sexual abuse and online exploitation, support services are available at www.accce.gov.au/support.