Unlicensed driver given new chance 

DUBBO Local Court has heard a man charged with unlicensed driving has made five unsuccessful attempts to obtain a driver's licence.

Police said Shaun Gregory Biles was compliant and freely admitting driving without a licence when he was stopped in West Dubbo on March 4.

"I should have known better," he allegedly told police.

"I was only going to Woolies to buy some sugar."

The solicitor representing Biles said the 28-year-old had already spent $200 trying to pass the Roads and Maritime Services computer test.

"He has passed a practice test once but has difficultly understanding the questions," the solicitor said.

"He has been making a big effort and will continue to keep trying to pass the test.''

Magistrate Eckhold said the matter had been before the court for a long time.

"There must be someone in the Aboriginal community who can offer him assistance (to prepare for the test),'' the magistrate said.

"Driving while disqualified is a real concern for the community.''

Biles was placed on a six-month good behaviour bond.

The unlicensed driving charge was dismissed without conviction.

"If you re-offend you will be re-sentenced,'' Biles was warned.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop