Dubbo Regional Council is urging drivers to slow down and look out for children near schools as new figures show offences for speeding in the zones are on the up.
Fines revenue for going over the 40km/h speed limit in the 10 months since July 1 is $37,535, from 107 offences, Office of State Revenue data shows.
That was up on the $33,382 collected from 101 offences in 11 months of the previous financial year.
Dubbo schools begin term three this week and council road safety officer Jayne Bleechmore is imploring drivers not to take risks.
“Children are vulnerable road users,” she said.
“They are at risk in the traffic environment because of their size and their difficulty in judging speed and distance.”
Most school zones are operational between 8.00am - 9.30am and 2.30pm - 4pm on school days.
"Parents and carers can help students stay safe by following simple safety steps and by regularly reinforcing important road safety behaviours with their children," Ms Bleechmore said.
Parents are reminded also to brush up on their safe parking skills around schools for drop-off and collection.
This includes using kerbside doors and not allowing children to go to the rear of the car to put their bags in the back door or boot.
A third no-no is calling children from across the road to the car.
People should instead collect them from their side of the road or park legally where they can and go and meet the children, then cross the road together.
Illegal school zone parking creates dangerous situations and brings with it some hefty fines.
These fines have recently increased and are listed below along with their accompanying demerit points.
- No Stopping - means you cannot stop in this area unless there is a medical or other emergency - $325 fine plus 2 demerit points.
- No Parking – means you can stop here for a maximum of two minutes to drop off or pick up passengers and you must stay within three metres of your car at all times - $180 fine plus 2 demerit points.
- Bus Zone (School Days) – means you must not stop or park your vehicle in a designated school bus zonebetween 8.00 am and 9.30 am or between 2.30 pm and 4.00 pm - $325 fine plus 2 demerit points.
- Stop on or near a children’s crossing - $433 fine plus 2 demerit points.
- Double parking (school zone) - $325 fine plus 2 demerit points.