A record 1305 fishers entered the 2017 Easter Lake Burrendong fishing classic over the weekend, with an estimated 3000 people gathering in the holiday park.
A huge showing of sponsorship support saw 108 businesses throw contributions at the event, with over $50,000 in prizes drawing in fishers from as far as New Zealand. Near perfect weather conditions greeted those in attendance, with the crowd starting to build from the Monday before the event to enjoy glassed out boating and fishing conditions.
Nicholas Cowen, aged 11 couldn't believe his luck when he was handed the keys to a brand new car at the Sunday presentation, while Jackie Wake from Dubbo and Steven Penrose from Orange both went home with a brand new boat in tow.
With the impoundment sitting at 89 per cent, there seemed to be quite a bit of water in between the fish, with fishers reporting the going to be quite slow at times. Scores of juvenile redfin did keep the scoreboard ticking over for many entrants, with the biggest bag of 222 fish being taken out by Shay Johnston. The biggest redfin overall was a fish of 36cm caught by Keith Lawson. 38 proved the bag to beat when it came to the carp section, with Michael McBue being crowned champion ‘Mud Marlin’ eradicator, while Tim Weaver and Tony Zorz both caught a Carp of 70cm to tie for biggest carp overall.
When it came to the natives, some nice Murray cod were caught and released in the adult section, with a specimen of 69.2cm giving Julie Ratcliffe first place. Norman Price boated a 63cm green fish for 2nd, with Paul Maxwell taking out 3rd.
- Yellowbelly: 1st 61cm Michael Ratcliffe; 2nd 59cm Leanne Roach; 3rd 58.7cm Nathan Cox.
- Murray cod: 1st 69.2cm Julie Ratcliffe; 2nd 63cm Norman Price; 3rd 61.8cm Paul Maxwell.
- Catfish: 1st 55.8cm Adrian Mill; 2nd 52.9cm Michael Ratcliffe; 3rd 52.2cm Andrew McClure.
- Silver Perch:1st Terry Moffat 38cm
- Yellowbelly: 1st 57cm Seth Shelton; 2nd 50.7cm Jack Shelton; 3rd 50.2cm Jack Taylor.
- Murray cod: 1st 64.9cm Cameron Constable
- Catfish: 1st 51.8cm Cameron Constable; 2nd 50.2cm Connor Edwards; 3rd 50cm Mikayla Bowd.
- Silver Perch: 1st 42.5cm Locky Nelson
- Biggest Redfin 36cm Keith Lawson
- Biggest Bag of Redfin 222 Shay Johnston
- Biggest Carp 70cm Tim Weaver & Tony Zorz
- Biggest bag of Carp 38 Michael McBue
Submit a story/photo: email@example.com.