Outcome leaves few options for Orange Waratahs

ORANGE Waratahs president Darren Sinclair believes his Western Premier League players will have no other option but to filter back through the local A-grade competition after the region's football premiership dissolved earlier this week.

After a nominations meeting Sinclair described as "pretty positive" in Orange on Sunday, the 2013 WPL looked set to be contested between four clubs - defending champions Dubbo FC, Waratahs, Orana Spurs and Lithgow.

However, a backflip on Tuesday evening from Dubbo FC has resulted in the 2013 premiership's demise, with WPL president Jim Auld calling a three-team competition "completely unviable."

It's left Sinclair and Waratahs players, both first grade and second grade, with little else to do but filter down throughout the Orange and District Football Association A-grade competition.

They're not happy.

But there's not a lot they can do.

"It's very, very disappointing," Sinclair said.

"Two days before we had a meeting in Orange and everything seemed pretty positive. We were going ahead with a four team competition and then looking to build into next year with a Bathurst, Cowra and Westside team back.

"We'll just have to go back to our local comp now."

Waratahs already field an A-grade side in the ODFA competition.

Sinclair said it was highly likely the club will now boast two, maybe even three, with a squad of close to 25 WPL players now forced to float back into the local competition.

He was confident stepping back a level wouldn't result in the club losing players.

"It's the only option we've got," he said.

"The Orange competition is fairly strong. It should be pretty good. It might make our boys a bit more hungry, and hopefully they'll come back better (in 2014)."

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop