Dubbo District Cricket Association president Ben Semmler says it's "extremely pleasing" to be able to put a plan in place for the season ahead after months of uncertainty.
After a meeting between junior and senior associations on Wednesday night it was announced both competitions are planning to start play on Saturday, October 30.
That date will be subject to whether the state hits the required double vaccination target for community sport and whether any changes are made to COVID-19 public health orders between now and that time.
But finally getting able to give clubs and players a date to work towards was a satisfying moment for Semmler.
"It's extremely pleasing to give people some answers," he said.
"Everyone has been very patient with us. But I know there's players raring to go and by the time we get out of lockdown everyone will be ready to go.
"At this stage we'll only miss three weeks so it won't disrupt the season too much.
"We're going to have to be flexible but tis allows clubs to have something tangible to work with."
While draws and the exact format for the season ahead are yet to be confirmed, the message from Semmler and the association is simple.
"We're expecting team nominations mid-month so then we can finalise the draw," Semmler said.
"So we're encouraging clubs to get players registered and we're also encouraging them to get vaccinated as it's highly likely that will be a mandate."
More information on vaccination and restrictions at training and gamedays is expected in the weeks ahead, but earlier this week deputy premier John Barilaro stated only those who had received both jabs could return to community sport when it resumes.
That could have an impact on summer sporting competitions until early December, when restrictions are set to ease for those who are unvaccinated.
"There might be a couple of players it affects but, fortunately, getting vaccinated locally has been a lot easier given our circumstances," Semmler said.
"It's not going to be ideal to manage that but I think it is manageable."
With plans now becoming clearer, the excitement around the 2021/22 season is starting to ramp up.
Narromine has already announced it will form standalone teams in the second and third grade competitions this summer, something Semmler was delighted to see, while the standard of play in the RSL-Whitney Cup is expected to reach a new level.
Given the ongoing COVID situation in Sydney, a number of local juniors who have been playing in NSW Premier Cricket there are set to return home and play.
"There's going to be some quality players in the comp," Semmler said.
Changes are also likely for the McDonald's Megahit Twenty20 competition on Friday nights but the exact format is also yet to be confirmed.