A man in his 40s and a man in his 70s have died with COVID-19.
NSW Health reported the man in his 40s had died at Dubbo Hospital. They said he was not vaccinated and had underlying health conditions.
At midday, Western NSW Health said a second man in his 70s had died with COVID-19 while in palliative care overnight.
His death will be reported in tomorrow's figures.
The Dubbo Local Government Area recorded 12 new cases of COVID-19 up until 8pm on Monday, September 17.
Eleven of the cases are in Wellington, which remains an area of concern, while one of the cases is in Dubbo.
Across the health district there were 21 new cases. There were also four in Narromine, one in Orange, one in Bathurst, one in Oberon, one in Cowra and one in Bourke.
Across the state NSW recorded 863 new COVID-cases to 8pm last night.
Seven deaths, including four women and three men were also reported.
One person was in their 40s, one person was in their 50s, two people were in their 70s, two people were in their 80s and one person was in their 90s.
Three people had received two doses of a COVID-19 vaccine, three people had received one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, and one person was not vaccinated.
Three people were from western Sydney, two were from south-western Sydney, one person was from northern Sydney, and one person was from Dubbo.
Two people who died acquired their infections in hospitals. A woman in her 90s from western Sydney acquired her infection at Nepean Hospital and a woman in her 70s acquired her infection at Campbelltown Hospital.
There have been 316 COVID-19 related deaths in NSW since June 16, 2021 and 372 in total since the start of the pandemic.
There are currently 1155 COVID-19 cases admitted to hospital, with 213 people in intensive care, 113 of whom require ventilation.
Of the 863 locally acquired cases reported to 8pm last night:
- 241 are from South Western Sydney Local Health District (LHD),
- 161 are from Western Sydney LHD,
- 98 are from South Eastern Sydney LHD,
- 80 are from Sydney LHD,
- 63 are from Hunter New England LHD,
- 62 are from Illawarra Shoalhaven LHD,
- 53 are from Nepean Blue Mountains LHD,
- 31 are from Northern Sydney LHD,
- 29 are from Central Coast LHD,
- 21 are from Western NSW LHD,
- 14 are from Southern NSW LHD,
- five are from Far West LHD,
- three are in correctional settings, and
- two cases are yet to be assigned to an LHD.
NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard announced Byron Bay and Tweed would be coming out of lockdown, while the news wasn't as good for Port Macquarie, Muswellbrook and Kempsey which may be headed for lockdown.
He said further news on those three areas would come later today.
"Port Macquarie in one of those areas, Kempsey might have an extension and Muswellbrook is also being considered as a result of cases in those areas.
"These decisions are not made lightly. There's more work to do and the public health team will do that work this afternoon, but I'm putting the community on notice that there may be a further announcement today in regard to all three of those areas or any one of those three areas," Mr Hazzard said.
He also announced BreastScreen services would return.
There were two new cases were acquired overseas, one new case was acquired interstate, and 14 previously reported cases have been excluded following further investigation.
The total number of cases in NSW since the beginning of the pandemic is 60,372.
There have been 54,714 locally acquired cases reported since the start of this outbreak.
There were 132,279 COVID-19 tests reported to 8pm last night, compared with the previous day's total of 93,577.
NSW Health administered 25,942 COVID-19 vaccines in the 24 hours to 8pm last night.
Across NSW, 85.7 per cent of the over-16 population has received a first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, and 60.4 per cent are fully vaccinated to 11.59pm on Sunday 26 September 2021.
The total number of vaccines administered in NSW is now 9,742,829, with 3,491,835 doses administered by NSW Health to 8pm last night and 6,250,994 administered by the GP network and other providers to 11.59pm on Sunday 26 September 2021.
Our COVID-19 news articles relating to public health and safety are free for anyone to access. However, we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.
Do you have something to say? We welcome your letters which may run in print and online.