A man in his 90s who resided at St Mary's Villa has died with COVID-19.
NSW Heath said the man had contracted the virus as part of the outbreak at the Villa earlier this month. He was vaccinated against COVID-19.
It is understood he had been in hospital earlier in the week, but had returned to the villa over the weekend. He also had other underlying health conditions.
The man is the fourth person from the region to die with the virus.
- READ ALSO: LIVE COVID-19 news in Central, Western NSW
Western NSW Local Health District recorded 12 new cases in the most recent reporting period.
Of those cases, five were in Bathurst, four in Dubbo, two in Bourke and one in Walgett.
The four cases in Dubbo were linked to new cases at St Mary's Villa, where there are now a total of 13 cases of the virus.
In state news:
The premier has stepped back up for a NSW COVID-19 update the day it was handed over to NSW Health on a daily basis.
Days ago Gladys Berejiklian said Sunday's staple 11am press conference would be the last in the format that has become a daily ritual during the outbreak.
But instead of NSW Health leading the Monday morning update, Ms Berejikian returned to announce 1257 new cases of COVID-19 were found in NSW in the 24 hours to 8pm Sunday.
Seven deaths from COVID-19 were reported to NSW Health and 137,668 tests were conducted in the same timeframe.
A man in his 90s from Dubbo died at the St Mary's Villa Aged Care Facility, where he acquired his infection while other elderly people died at a range of Sydney hospitals.
There are 1,189 COVID-19 cases admitted to hospital, with 222 people in intensive care, 94 on ventilators.
South-western and western Sydney remain areas of concern, Ms Berejiklian said, but pleasingly there are signs of cases stabilising in some of the local government areas of concern in Sydney as well as some regional NSW areas.
"In regional NSW we have seen a stabilisation in cases, however in Hunter, Central Coast and Wollongong, we have seen an increase in cases," the premier said.
There have been 184 COVID-19 related deaths in NSW since June 16, and 240 in total since the start of the pandemic. There have been 38,856 locally-acquired cases reported since 16 June 2021, when the first case in this outbreak was reported.
Of the 1,257 locally acquired cases reported to 8pm last night:
- 427 are from South Western Sydney Local Health District;
- 314 are from Western Sydney;
- 181 are from Sydney:
- 127 are from South Eastern Sydney;
- 78 are from Nepean Blue Mountains:
- 27 are from Illawarra Shoalhaven;
- 22 are from Northern Sydney;
- 18 are from Hunter New England LHD;
- 16 are from Central Coast;
- 12 are from Western NSW;
- eight are in correctional settings;
- seven are from Far West;
- two are from Southern and 18 cases are yet to be assigned to an LHD.
NSW Health's ongoing sewage surveillance program has recently detected fragments of the virus that causes COVID-19 at the Yass and Eden, at Tamworth, at the Dunbogan and Karuah treatment plants in Mid North Coast, at Gerroa treatment plant in Illawarra and Brooklyn treatment plant in northern Sydney.
We depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.