Finals series modified, full rounds abandoned, and uncertainty around when play will resume.
Sporting officials around the western area were made to scramble on Wednesday after it was confirmed the Dubbo local government area would enter a one-week lockdown following two positive cases of COVID-19.
Local and regional sporting competitions have been affected after the seven-day lockdown was implemented from 1pm on Wednesday.
Central West Rugby Union and Central West Junior Rugby Union have been forced into the most changes as both were set to have finals matches played this weekend.
Dubbo sides were involved in junior finals while the Kangaroos were to play in the Blowes Clothing Cup second grade, third grade, women's, and colts matches while the Dubbo Rhinos were going to be in action in colts and the New Holland Agriculture Cup second grade grand final at Parkes.
Group 11's final round - headlined by a massive Dubbo derby between CYMS and Macquarie - was scheduled for Sunday but matches across all four grades have been declared draws and finals, at this stage, are to go ahead as planned the following weekend. It's the same situation in junior league.
A school football carnival was held in Dubbo last week, with teams travelling from around the region to participate, but now all involved will be under strict stay at home orders like the rest of the LGA.
The situation in both the Western Premier League football competition - featuring three Dubbo sides - and AFL Central West is likely to be made clear on Thursday morning but they are also set to be heavily impacted.
The planned fixtures in Dubbo's local football, netball, and hockey competitions will also not go ahead this weekend.
The impact in Dubbo District Football Association's first grade competition is minimal as the final round pencilled in for this weekend had already been declared a con-competitive round with no points on offer.
The course at Dubbo Golf Club is also closed but the Paramount Tennis Club courts are available for singles or with more than two people if they are from the same household.
Matt Tink, the chief executive officer of Central West Rugby Union, confirmed the changes in his competitions to the Daily Liberal.
"What we are looking at now is the New Holland Cup grand final has been pushed back one week," he said.
"For Blowes [Clothing] Cup, we've changed the finals format.
"So, in all grades, first place will play fourth on the 21st of August and second will play third the next day."
It's very disappointing to miss out on this weekend in what would have been some massive days.CWRU CEO Matt Tink
"The Saturday games will be at Cowra and the Sunday game will be at Orange Emus."
Originally, Cowra was set to host Emus in a first grade major semi-final on Saturday while Bathurst and Forbes were going to meet in the minor on Sunday.
There has also been more planning should the lockdown need to be extended any further.
"If the lockdown is extended, on the 28th of August we will play grand finals in Blowes Cup and that will be first against second in all grades in Cowra," Tink said.
Tink feels it is frustrating to have the season altered just days out from some of the season's showpiece matches.
"Given the standard of the games this year and the crowds we have been able to attract it's very disappointing," he said.
"There have been some great rugby which has been well refereed, well-coached, well played and well supported by towns.
"It's very disappointing to miss out on this weekend in what would have been some massive days with Saturday at Parkes and Cowra as well as Sunday at Bulldogs were going to be great days for the spectacle of rugby."
After speaking to all the clubs in the region, Tink knows the right decision was made to postpone the games.
"I've spoken to every club and they are all supportive of the decision which is incredibly pleasing," he said.
Central West Junior Rugby Union preliminary finals were to be played at Parkes on Saturday but they have now been pushed back one week and, at this stage, grand finals will be at Dubbo's Apex Oval on August 28.
Those involved with Group 11 and Dubbo District Junior Rugby League were informed by NSW Rugby League on Thursday morning all final round matches would be declared draws.
"Clubs within those competitions will be required to cease any planned fixtures and official club events for at least one week," the statement read.
"All of this weekend's upcoming competitive fixtures will be deemed COVID draws in line with the NSWRL guidelines."
Somewhat fortunately, the top five was confirmed in three of the four grades in Group 11 heading into the final round.
The Forbes Magpies were due to have the bye on Sunday and will receive two points as normal while every other team will receive one.
It has an impact on the reserve grade ladder, with Forbes now moving into fifth ahead of Parkes.
Both Wellington and CYMS had chances to secure the first grade minor premiership on Sunday while Nyngan, Macquarie, and Parkes were all battling for places three-to-five.
"The board will make a decision (on finals) when more information is available," Group 11 president Bob Walsh said.
"We had a couple of good games (this weekend) too but anyway that's the way it goes.
"It's disappointing but we have done well to last this long."
Both the WPL and AFL Central West could have matches involving non-Dubbo teams still go ahead this weekend.
"The league's position at the moment is if games can be played we will play them but if games cannot be played due to the restrictions then they will not go ahead," competition and development co-ordinator for Central West AFL, Casey White, said.
Narromine Gold Cup race meeting on Sunday and Saturday's Parkes meeting will also go ahead and those deemed essential workers from the Dubbo LGA are able attend but owners and racegoers can not attend.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: