THE NSW premier has confirmed the Greater Sydney lockdown and regional restrictions will continue for at least another four weeks after the state recorded 177 new cases of COVID-19 overnight.
Gladys Berejiklian said that of the new locally-acquired cases, 46 had been in the community while infectious.
That number was still too high.
"It would not have been possible to come out of lockdown on Friday," she said.
"Greater Sydney will be in lockdown for a further four weeks.
"All those areas currently in lockdown will continue."
Ms Berejiklian said residents of Greater Sydney, Blue Mountains, Shellharbour, the Central Coast and Wollongong would have to do their shopping within a 10 kilometre radius of their home.
The restrictions for non-essential workers currently in place in Blacktown, Canterbury-Bankstown, Liverpool, Fairfield and Cumberland local government area (LGA) restricting movements outside the LGA have been extended to include Parramatta, Georges River and Campbelltown LGAs.
Construction will be back in non-occupied dwellings, but only outside of those above eight LGAs.
There will also be a singles bubble for those who live by themselves. They can nominate one person to visit them but it must be the same person for the full four weeks. Those within the above eight LGAs must nominate somebody within their LGA and within 10km. Those outside those LGAs must nominate somebody from outside those LGAs.
No further restrictions would be added to regional areas.
"We have managed to keep the disease out of the regions by and large," she said.
There were 94,000 tested in the 24 hours to 8pm Tuesday.
Ms Berejiklian said the government would redirect doses of the Pfizer vaccine from regional NSW to vaccinate Year 12 students in the worst-affected Sydney LGAs.
"Children will continue to need to be home-schooled, except for year 12," Ms Berejiklian said.
They would be vaccinating year 12 students in those LGAs.
"We don't want students coming to face to face learning, getting the virus, and taking it home with them," she said.
"Year 12 learning would recommence face to face in two weeks."
We have made our COVID-19 articles that concern public health and safety free for all readers, however we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.