The Dubbo Regional Council election has been postponed until December.
On Saturday, Local Government Minister Shelley Hancock confirmed the election had been pushed back from Saturday, September 4, until Saturday, December 4 for all councils in NSW, including Dubbo.
The only exception is Central Coast Council which is currently run by an administrator.
Dubbo mayor Stephen Lawrence said he wasn't surprised by the decision.
"I know that it's going to disappoint a lot of people... but from a public health perspective it seems to be a very understandable decision and not one I would criticise," he said.
ALSO MAKING NEWS:
Cr Lawrence recently announced he wouldn't be running for re-election to council in order to spend more time with his family. His stint as mayor will now be extended for three months.
"It obviously puts councillors who have indicated their intention not to contest another election in an unexpected and, in some cases, difficult position," he said.
"From my point of view, it's truly a privilege to serve as mayor and I certainly won't be complaining about it from a personal perspective. My thoughts do go out to many councillors who I know, and I'm not talking about people in Dubbo here, the people statewide who were planning to retire and will have to continue to serve.
"But these are the sort of unexpected and outcomes that you expect when you stand for election."
Local Government NSW has urged the government to commit to holding COVID-safe council election before year's end.
"COVID safe local government elections must be held by the end of the year, to uphold democracy and ensure renewal," LGNSW president Linda Scott said.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: