Dubbo Regional Council has received 23 code of conduct complaints in two months.
It comes after acting mayor Stephen Lawrence called for people to come forward if they had any concerns about council-related conduct.
On Tuesday night, the council will look at the options for appointing an independent investigator.
In the report released on Friday afternoon, acting chief executive officer Dean Frost said there had been 23 code of conduct complaints since the start of March.
Mr Frost said each of the complaints had been reviewed and 10 had been passed on to independent investigators at O'Connor Marsden and Associates.
"Council is currently reviewing suitable independent third parties to provide advice and guidance with regards to any future complaints for the immediate future," he said.
There have been another 28 code of conduct complaints received since the beginning of the council term in 2017.
Mr Frost said the review of any complaints prior to March were already finalised but where appropriate they could be referred to the Office of Local Government for review.
"There is a heightened focus on council's code of conduct complaints and processes at present, with an unprecedented number of complaints being received," Mr Frost said in the report.
"This situation is constantly evolving and there have been many discussions with the Office of Local Government to ensure council's processes are robust, and how best to approach a review."
The council will also look at the options for reducing mayoral or councillor fees if they are absent for an extended period of time.
LOVE LOCAL NEWS? SIGN UP TO OUR DAILY NEWSLETTER