The operator of the Nyngan caravan park visited by a Sydney man who later tested positive for COVID-19 says the no further cases detected has been the "best-case scenario" but it's dealing with a wave of cancellations and extra costs in the wake of the episode.
Nyngan Riverside Tourist Park manager Emily Stanton said they were lucky they did not have what NSW Health deemed close contacts in the wake of the Berala man's stay on January 2, and all casual contacts had tested negative.
The 18-year-old visitor's positive test to COVID-19 after his return to Sydney on January 5 gave rise to a public health alert and hundreds of people attended a pop-up testing facility in the town last week.
Ms Stanton told the Daily Liberal the business had gone all-out to ensure the park was safe from COVID.
"...to try to get people back and save our reputation because it is hospitality suicide to get a COVID case, this will cost us tens of thousands of dollars," she said.
At its own initiative and out of its own pocket it had engaged a specialist cleaning team from Sydney, which came and sanitised and decontaminated the property, she reported.
"So that was I guess to restore faith in our park and show people we went above and beyond and even to reassure our staff, I didn't want our staff feeling uncomfortable going into that cabin and having to clean it up after they knew the case was in there.
"...that was not a requirement of them [public health], we could have cleaned it ourselves, but we just wanted to leave no stone unturned with it, and we can be 100 per cent confident now in saying that we've done everything that we possibly can, we are 100 per cent COVID- free, and we have really good policies in place for anyone who does want to come and stay with us."
Ms Stanton said it was a "real reminder" to businesses everywhere to have everything in place for contact tracing, and a COVID-safe plan that they abided by.
"So you nearly need to treat everyone who walks through the door that potentially they may have it, what if they do have it," she said.
Health authorities had been happy with the cleaning policies and the information the park had provided and the way it followed its COVID-safe plan, Ms Stanton said.
"So it's just really important for all businesses especially in hospitality, and service stations and all that sort of stuff just to make sure if someone does come back positive, you need to be able to trace everyone who was in there at that time," she said.
After three years of drought, recent rainfall has made the town's river a summer attraction once more.
The caravan park had been completely booked for January, but since the Berala man's visit, at least 50 per cent had cancelled already, Ms Stanton said.
"But it has turned out best-case scenario, so since we've had the negative tests, since we've got the message out there that we are safe, we've done everything we can, it's actually surprising, even today, we've had a lot of Facebook messages coming through, people wanting to book," she said.