Dubbo Regional Council has released a map showing the route of its $6.82 million cross-city pipeline which won't sit idle after it is built.
The council's director of Infrastructure Julian Geddes issued the map (pictured) after being asked by the Daily Liberal to identify the route of the non-potable water pipeline.
He also defined when the pipeline would be used and how it would last for 50 to 100 years.
On September 22, the council advised the community that Jonishan Pty Ltd had started installing underground the 19-kilometre dual pipeline.
The council reiterated it would take non-potable groundwater from the city's established recreational bores to the John Gilbert Water Treatment Plant "in times of severe drought".
The pipeline will also move treated effluent from the Dubbo Sewage Treatment Plant into the city to replace the non-potable groundwater used for irrigation.
Four new bores constructed in north Dubbo will be connected to the pipeline.
Late last week Mr Geddes responded to an inquiry from this newspaper as to whether the pipeline would be used outside of drought and if it could stand the test of time.
"Both the recycled effluent line and new bore line will be used as part of council's overall management and supply of water to the community, while managing impacts on the (Upper Macquarie alluvial) aquifer," he said.
"New bores and recycled effluent are planned to be regularly used and have built in capacity for expansion in the future."
Mr Geddes said the pipeline was made from PVC - O, "an industry standard product with a minimum asset life expectancy of 50 years and a maximum life expectancy of 100 years".
"Long-term water strategies have been applied to these works to ensure Dubbo has a secure and resilient water supply for now and the future," he said.
One of the four new bores is in Brisbane Street, another in Darling Street and two more on land owned by the council at Bunglegumbie.
Mr Geddes revealed the council was investigating the sinking of at least another bore.
"The purpose of this bore and any future bores is part of council's investigations to secure longer-term groundwater for drought security, managing impacts to the aquifer and to accommodate for Dubbo's future growth," he said.
"The area being investigated is northern Dubbo
Currently, seven bores across the city and the four new bores are "for potable water". A further six bores are used for "recreation and open space irrigation".
The pipeline and bores are major components of the council's response to the drought which left Burrendong Dam at 1.47 per cent of capacity in February this year.
It was at 46.5 per cent of capacity on Tuesday.
"All works are part of the Safe and Secure Water Program funded from the state government which also includes bores and pipelines for Wellington and Geurie," Mr Geddes said.
"The total program funding was $30 million."