FURTHER doubt has been cast over spectators attending the Bathurst 1000 after Supercars put ticket sales for the Great Race on hold.
Motor sport news site Speedcafe.com reported on Thursday that ticket sales had come to a halt ahead of the October race.
"A Supercars spokesperson has confirmed to Speedcafe.com that ticket sales have been halted while discussions continue between category management and the local council," the article read.
ACM approached Supercars for comment and received the following statement from a Supercars spokesperson.
"We are still working with NSW Government, Bathurst Council and relevant authorities on all matters related to Bathurst ticketing and will update in due course," they said.
- ALSO MAKING NEWS: Virus cancels service to remember thousands of lives lost
Bathurst Regional councillor Warren Aubin said that while Bathurst council is involved in the discussions, a decision on whether or not spectators can attend will have to come from Supercars.
He said it was a very tough position to be in and Supercars had made a "sensible" decision to pause ticket sales, as the situation with COVID-19 is rapidly changing.
"They don't know what sort of crowd they will be allowed to have, they don't know the number until the time gets closer," Cr Aubin said, adding that they don't want to sell too many tickets and have to issue refunds.
In his opinion, the Bathurst 1000 will still have spectators, but on a significantly reduced scale and with all tickets sold in advance.
"It's going to be no Victorians and I'd would say whoever is fastest on the button will get the tickets when they go on sale," he said.
"I dare say there'll be no drive-up, buy tickets at the track; they'll be all sold online and that will be that."
He expects camping at Mount Panorama will be off the cards, too.
Supercars has already delayed the sale of campsites, which were due to go on sale last month, and there's no word yet on if or when they will become available.
"I would be very surprised if camping goes ahead," Cr Aubin said.
There are also question marks over some of the other aspects of race week in Bathurst, including the transporter parade and autograph sessions.
Cr Aubin said council is still planning for the parade at this stage, but he very much doubts driver signing sessions will occur at all given the risk it poses to the drivers.
"It's all really up in the air at the moment as to what will go on. At the moment it's sort of business as usual, but that could change tomorrow," he said.
Do you have something to say? We welcome your letters which may run in print and online.