THE keen hearing of one Dubbo resident has saved their neighbour's property from being engulfed by fire.
Emergency services received a triple-0 call at 3.20pm on Wednesday to a property on Hunter Street with reports of a unit fire.
Upon arrival Dubbo Fire and Rescue NSW crews say there was smoke coming from the property but nobody was home.
"The smoke alarm was going off and there was smoke to be seen and I think the neighbours had called it in [to triple-0]," Station Officer John Poulos said.
With nobody answering the unit's front door, firefighters gained entry through the back door.
"They found the source of if [the fire] which was just inside the back door. There was food left on the stove," Station Officer Poulos said.
Firefighters ventilated the room and unit.
Station Officer Poulos urged people not to go out while leaving food on the stove and said the situation could have ended up with a much worse result.
"It could have gone bad, but it's lucky they had a working smoke alarm that alerted the neighbours," he said.
"It's not just about you hearing the smoke alarm, it's your neighbours who could hear it."
MAP: The location of Hunter Street, Dubbo