A HOME has been destroyed following an overnight fire in Trangie that is now under police investigation.
Firefighters received a triple-0 call at 5.45pm on Tuesday following reports that a home on Albert Street was on fire.
Fire and Rescue NSW Trangie Captain Wade Haines said the home was well alight when crews arrived on scene.
"It was occupied but nobody was home at the time," he said.
"The neighbours were trying to extinguish the fire when we arrived on scene."
Captain Haines said crews wearing breathing apparatus entered the single-storey home to extinguish the fire.
The neighbours were trying to extinguish the fire when we arrived on scene.Fire and Rescue NSW Trangie Captain Wade Haines
"It took about 45 minutes to get it under control," he said.
"It [the fire] got into the roof space and the house was about 95 per cent destroyed."
Captain Haines said the owners of the home arrived on scene shortly after firefighters began battling the flames and "were obviously upset".
While it is still early in the investigation, firefighters believe the blaze may have started from the home's chimney.
"It's still under investigation with NSW Police and detectives will be following it up," Captain Haines said.
There were no injuries to anyone on scene during the fire.
Captain Haines said the owners of this property did have a working smoke alarm and he encouraged other people to install one in their home.
"Our winter fire safety message is to ensure that your chimney is cleaned out," he said.
MAP: The location of Albert Street, Trangie