Branches across the Macquarie Regional Library saw hundreds of thousands of visitors borrowing just as many items in 2019.
The Mailbox Shopper put a call in to Dubbo Regional Council and the Dubbo branch to find out the reading habits of library visitors.
There are branches in Dubbo, Wellington, Narromine, Trangie, Baradine, Binnaway, Coolah, Mendooran, Dunedoo and Coonabarabran.
MRL saw a total of 258,406 visitors to its various branches over 2019, where they borrowed 173,333 items over that period.
July was the month with the most items borrowed with 16,400, while September was the least with 12,894.
The top DVD borrowed in 2019 was 'Mamma Mia! Here we go again' with 60 loans. The Lost Man by Jane Harper was loaned a total of 79 times making it the most borrowed adult fiction book.
ALSO MAKING NEWS:
While Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J. K. Rowling was the top young adult book with 23 loans.
Macquarie Regional Library manager Kathryn McAlister said adult fiction especially Australian authors and bestselling authors are always popular along with adult non-fiction.
"Biographies are always popular, Becoming was a very heavily borrowed item in all formats including e-audio," she said. "Titles such as the Barefoot investor are timely and relevant for young families in particular. For the young adults, series are still popular as they transcend age - new readers discovering popular titles,."
Her tips for top borrowed items in 2020 are Australian titles and titles that make it on the best-sellers lists.
"Some recently popular titles include Where the crawdads sing by Delia Owens, Blue moon by Lee Child and anything by Karly Lane," she said.
Top 5 DVDs Titles/Loans:
- Mamma Mia! Here we go again 60
- Coco - 59
- The bombing - 53
- Ladies in black - 52
- The greatest showman - 52
Top 5 Adult fiction Titles/Loans:
- The lost man by Jane Harper* - 79
- Long road to Mercy by David Baldacci - 74
- Past tense by Lee Child - 74
- Arcadia by Di Morrissey* - 69
- The woman in the green dress by Tea Cooper* -61
Top 5 Adult nonfiction Titles/Loans:
- The barefoot investor by Scott Pape* - 34
- Becoming by Michelle Obama - 28
- The barefoot investor for families by Scott Pape* - 28
- A diamond in the dust by Frauke Bolten-Boshammer* - 25
- Dark emu by Bruce Pascoe* - 22
Top 5 Audiobooks (CD) Titles/Loans:
- The guilty by David Baldacci - 16
- Origin by Dan Brown - 14
- The fix by David Baldacci - 14
- Barra Creek by Di Morrissey* - 13
- Deep freeze by John Sandford - 13
Top 5 Young adult Titles/Loans:
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child screenplay by J. K. Rowling - 23
- Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by J. K. Rowling - 18
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - 17
- Fantastic Beasts: the Crimes of Grindleward original screenplay by J.K. Rowling - 16
- The Fault in our Stars by John Green - 16
*Loan periods for DVDs is seven days and loan periods for books 21 days.