As quickly as excitement grew around a western-wide senior competition there's doubts around the feasibility of such a proposal.
Interest for the proposal is mixed across Group 11, with Dubbo clubs CYMS and Macquarie the only ones certain to push for the competition to go ahead..
Both the Group 11 and Group 10 seasons for 2020 were cancelled last week due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic but NSWRL's Peter Clarke has asked for an expression of interest from clubs still keen to take to the field this year.
Any senior matches would run alongside a western-wide 18s competition which will start on July 18.
Clubs have until the end of next week to reply to Clarke but it appears there could be just the two clubs from Group 11 putting their hand up.
Nyngan, Narromine, and Wellington are all content to take the year off to ensure long-term club stability but Parkes and Forbes had both been linked with spots in a proposed Western League.
That is no certainty now.
The Forbes club will meet on the weekend but it is believed enthusiasm for such a competition has waned and the same goes for the Spacemen.
"We're 100 percent in with the under 18s," Parkes president Joe Spicer said.
"We're committed to that and confident we can fulfil all the obligations but at this point that's all we're in on."
The ongoing uncertainty and pressure on volunteers due to health requirements are factors making it difficult for clubs across various sports to commit to their respective competitions.
Macquarie, in a sign of its enthusiasm, had already completed it's COVID-19 safety plan prior to the Group 11 season being cancelled and president Ross McDermott has confirmed he wants some type of season to go ahead.
CYMS president Mick Fraser confirmed his club was eager to look at any format of senior play put forward.
"We'd be keen on it," he said.
"But there's got to be enough teams to be involved."
Fraser added time is of the essence as clubs need to find out which players are keen and have training sessions before any kick-off.
If the western senior competition fails to get off the ground Forbes and Parkes may have the solution for clubs.
The idea of a three-game State of Origin-type series between the two rivals has been floated and Spicer said there would be no reason why the clubs in centres like Dubbo, Bathurst, and Orange couldn't do the same.
"It's something that's probably a lot more feasible but, again, it's not something we would start until later," Spicer said.
"We wouldn't consider July. Maybe August or September when the landscape is a little more clear around things like canteens and crowds and there's not too much extra onus on people.
"With the proximity it would generate some interest and it would be easier to coordinate from a geographic standpoint."