RESIDENTS across the Central West have woken to a very chilly start on Thursday with the 'feels like' temperature plummeting to -6.1 degrees in one location.
Cold weather has sent many towns into a chill since winter began on Monday and widespread frost could be seen.
Lithgow had the coldest 'feels like' temperature across the region with the mercury down to -6.1 degrees at 6.30am, while the actual temperature was -3.6.
READ ALSO: Australia Post defends service cuts
It was only a touch warmer in Orange with the overnight 'feels like' temperature dropping to -5.8, while actual readings fell as low as -2.2 degrees.
In Bathurst -5.4 was the 'feels like' temperature early Thursday morning, while the mercury actually dropped to a low of -1.7 degrees.
Other towns also recorded sub-zero temperatures overnight:
- Cowra: 'feels like' -0.8, actual temperature 1.0
- Dubbo: 'feels like' -2.2, actual temperature 2.7
- Forbes: 'feels like' -0.5, actual temperature 2.3
- Mudgee: 'feels like' -2.4, actual temperature 0.2
- Parkes: 'feels like' -1.9, actual temperature 1.6
- Young: 'feels like' -3.6, actual temperature -0.4
READ ALSO: Recession is heartache for Australia, PM
READ ALSO: Grants of $25,000 offered to home builders