Netball is set to return to the Nita McGrath courts at the end of July.
The Dubbo Netball Association (DNA) met on Monday night to discuss the structure of the 2020 season after Netball NSW last week announced competitions could start from Saturday, July 18.
While it is all pending any more government advice or health regulations, the DNA is planning for a seven-round competition followed by a modified finals series starting from Saturday, July 25.
"There would be seven rounds with every team playing each other once so it is nice and fair," DNA president Karen Weekes said.
"Normally it would be a 14 round season so effectively we're halving it.
"One division does have nine sides so there will be an additional round somewhere. Just that division might have a midweek round or play Saturday or Sunday."
The top four sides from each division would advance to the finals where it would be a one-v-four and two-v-three format.
While well aware a lot could happen between now and then end of July, Weekes said it was pleasing to be able to see some light at the end of the tunnel.
Monday's meeting, conducted via Zoom, attracted 26 people and the mood was a positive one.
"Our clubs have been fantastic," Weekes said.
"We've worked well as an association and the clubs have followed the guidelines and given their full support so as a netball community we're really happy with how it has been handled."
Weekes also confirmed the DNA is in a healthy enough financial situation to be able to handle the shortened season.
Half the takings from the canteen will be a hit but providing for the huge amount of the city's netballers is the main focus.
"We're going up another level this year," Weekes added.
"We're going from six to seven grades in seniors so we're continuing to grow as an association, which is awesome."
No decision has been made yet about the resumption of the Central West Regional League, with just finals having to be played out in that competition.
Junior and senior state titles will be played on the October long weekend while the opens will be played alongside the masters on October 17 and 18.
"We know have to rework our program because normally we would be in the middle of representative preparation," Weekes said.
"We're back to planning but looking forward to it later in the year."
The dates for other regional carnivals are yet to be confirmed, with plenty still to be decided during the ongoing lockdown.
"Our paper with this plan, there is a highlighted section at the end saying this is all dependent on the lifting of the public health order, government advice, council, and advice from Netball NSW," Weekes added.
The ruling around the amount of people in certain places could also impact the local Dubbo competition.
If public places were still not able to host more than 500 people it is likely all Dubbo netball would have to be played without spectators, something which could raise problems given the sheer amount of juniors who take part.
But for now some kind of season is on track and Weekes said it was a credit to those in the Dubbo community and all over Australia for allowing it to happen.
"We acknowledge there has been a lot of sacrifices made from everyone to stop the spread," she said.
"Without people staying home and small businesses and businesses suffering we wouldn't be able to have a season and that means a lot."