"Strong action" to protect businesses, preserve jobs and guarantee wages at Dubbo and across western NSW during the COVID-19 pandemic has received applause from the state's peak business organisation.
The federal government on Monday announced a package of more than $130 billion, which will see a $1500 fortnightly payment made to businesses to then pass on to their employees.
Dubbo Regional Council last week estimated more than 600 jobs had already gone from its area because of coronavirus restrictions.
Business NSW western NSW regional manager Vicki Seccombe has hailed the new JobKeeper payment as "historic" and part of the package that could stop the economy from stalling.
"This is a job-saving initiative from the federal government," Ms Seccombe said.
"It is an historic rescue package reflecting the extraordinary times which we are all living through.
"No boss wants to make their staff redundant or cut hours, but sadly that's been the case across many industries in our region as the coronavirus response measures took hold.
"This move from the federal government will give a level of certainty to business owners and their staff and hopefully keep the economy moving, despite the obstacles."
All workers, whether they be casual, full-time or part-time, will be treated the same, as long as they were employed on March 1.
For casuals they need to have been employed for the past 12 months, and can only claim the payment from one employer.
For workers in industries that have been hit hard by the downturn, like accommodation, hospitality and retail, the payment equates to a full median replacement wage, the government says.
Ms Seccombe suggested some employers may go even further.
"While the $1500 payment will be gratefully received, it is important to note that this is a minimum payment and an employer may still top that up to match a current salary arrangement," she said.
"To be eligible, a business needs to demonstrate a drop in revenue of at least 30 per cent as a result of the impacts of coronavirus, a benchmark that many businesses have already exceeded.
"This is all part of a string of packages from the federal and state Governments aimed at keeping people in work and the economy moving, as well as ensuring that when the crisis is over, the economy is in the best possible position to resume normal operations as swiftly as possible."
While the payments will start on May 1, they will be backdated to Monday, in the hope that employers who may have been considering laying off staff in the next week will keep them "on the books".
It is the third round of stimulus announced by the government, with the biggest price tag.
It brings the total spent by the government in stimulus to $320 billion, or 16.4 per cent of gross domestic product.