Two men from Dubbo remain stuck overseas after they received the go-ahead to travel together to West Africa earlier this month.
Father of three and local carpenter Mark Morley and friend Michael Campbell had booked the "trip of a lifetime" to celebrate Mr Morley's 50th birthday.
Mr Morley had initially hoped to travel with his wife Rebecca, but after she underwent three-brain surgeries, it was apparent to the pair that wasn't going to be the case.
Mrs Morley said the trip was to start on March 14 and end April 5.
The pair left Australia on March 11 and arrived in Sierra Leone the day prior to when the tour was set to begin on March 13.
"I received a phone call on Sunday morning (March 15) from Mark saying the tour was cancelled and they were advised to return home immediately before the borders were shut. I didn't hear from Mark again until Thursday, so naturally, I was very concerned," Mrs Morley said.
"Dragoman [the tour company] 'started' the tour on the March 14 and cancelled it on the March 15. Mark and Michael headed to Dakar, Senegal, because they thought that would be their best option to catch a flight home.
"The reality is, if the tour leaders were doing their job correctly, they should have advised them to go to Accra, Ghana, a 2.5 hr flight away. Here, there is the Australian High Commission.
"The tour leaders assured the group they would wait until everyone made it home before they left to return to their own countries."
However Mrs Morley said she had been told instead they had locked up the tour truck and left.
"I booked and paid for flights on two occasions to get them to Dubai via Ethiopia. When they arrived, on both occasions at the airport they were told the flights were cancelled and they couldn't help. The tour company emailed me back after I contacted them expressing my concern; I hadn't heard from Mark since Sunday.
READ MORE: How best to stay active during the pandemic
"The tour leader did sent me many emails with flight options but the flights were either cancelled or the advice was incorrect.
"I researched and discovered there was a Canadian Embassy in Dakar who may be able to help them. By this stage, the borders were shut and the airport was closed. Mark and Michael went and saw the embassy and were advised to register."
Mrs Morley said the tour company has not offered any refund nor credit. Stating it can be claimed on insurance.
"I don't believe this is the case....hopefully I am wrong," she said.
"After getting no useful or new information or help from the Australian embassy here, I took it upon myself to call the Australian High Commission in Ghana.
"They returned my message almost immediately and have been maintaining contact with Mark since. They have been fantastic.
"It is hopeful, but not promised, that in a week or two they may be able to get a Canadian evacuation flight through to Toronto, Canada."
The evacuation flight will cost around $5000 Canadian dollars, and from Toronto it will then be their responsibility to get back to Australia.
"Mark and Michael believe they have no choice but to get on this flight as they have no idea when they may leave the country otherwise."
Mrs Morley said she had been told airports in West Africa would open April 17 while Mark was told May 20.
More recently, an airline told Mrs Morley they wouldn't be operating again from Senegal until July.
As of Sunday, March 29, health authorities around the country have reported 3,931 confirmed casesof COVID-19 in Australia.