Concerned organisers of sporting and cultural events planned for Dubbo in the coming weeks are seeking advice and weighing up their options after the federal government escalated its response to the coronavirus update.
The Council of Australian Governments on Friday heeded expert advice that all non-essential gatherings of more than 500 people in Australia should be cancelled from Monday.
In response and as the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases continued to rise, the committee behind the inaugural Narromine Dolly Parton Festival planned for April 17-19 took the decision not to proceed.
Its cancellation puts it on a growing list that also includes the Melbourne Grand Prix, the Sydney Royal Easter Show and light festival Vivid.
By 11am Sunday, NSW had 134 confirmed cases of COVID-19, a rise of 22 in 24 hours.
There were no confirmed cases in Dubbo, a Western NSW Local Health District spokeswoman said on Sunday afternoon.
A number of organisers of events planned for Dubbo acknowledged potential impact of the government's announcement and undertook to provide updates to ticket holders early in the week.
Dubbo Westview Drive-In's Running on Empty event planned for March 21 was a sell-out but it was left to seek answers.
On Sunday morning a spokesman for the operator said at that point the event was continuing as planned, but they would be working with the relevant authorities.
"We really need information on Monday, we can't leave it to the last minute to let people know," he told the Daily Liberal.
"It's really disappointing, the lack of information and guidelines about what we should be doing."
Organisers of the MAAS Titan Macquarie Mud Run reported on social media there had been a media announcement "which may impact" the event on March 28.
"...we will await further announcements and get back to you all via email and Facebook posts on Monday or Tuesday," they said in a post.
"Titans your patience is appreciated until we have more information."
Promoters of the Red Hot Summer Tour, scheduled to come to Dubbo on April 4, acknowledged the government advice on Friday.
"...we will make further announcement around plans for the remaining Red Hot Summer shows on Monday - please watch this space," a post to Facebook said.
As event planners grapple with any fallout, they've been offered help.
Dubbo Regional Council CEO Michael McMahon said the council's regional events branch would work closely with the events industry and support organisers and facilities with communication support, advice and information.
"Council will continue to work with the industry in regards to any potential postponements or cancellations," he said.
"As the operator of several event facilities, council will also engage with organisers on all major bookings to ensure a proactive approach is taken in regard to ongoing communications with the local community and visitors."
From midnight Sunday under a new measure, all travellers coming into Australia will need to self-isolate for 14 days.
Cruise ships would also be banned from docking in Australia for at least 30 days, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said after a meeting of the new National Cabinet on Sunday.
Mr Morrison said the new measures would help slow the spread of the virus.
We have removed our paywall from our stories about the coronavirus. This is a rapidly changing situation and we want to make sure our readers are as informed as possible. If you would like to support our journalists you can subscribe here.