The start of QantasLink flights between Orange and Sydney is likely to have a "pretty small impact, if any," on overall passengers numbers at Dubbo's airport, acting mayor Stephen Lawrence says.
The councillor played down the significance of an extra 45,000 seats each year on the new QantasLink route, to launch on May 1.
Cr Lawrence contended Orange was not likely to overtake Dubbo as the major port for western NSW, citing his city's "geography and population size and routes".
"We also have a very good operation out at the airport as was recognised last year when we won regional airport of the year," he said.
Dubbo Regional Council operates the city's airport, which has added routes and grown passenger numbers in recent years.
For its new route, QantasLink offered an introductory sale price of $129 one-way for bookings until February 17, and then a lead-in price of $179.
When asked if he thought Dubbo residents would chase prices and flight options at Orange, Cr Lawrence suggested it was unlikely.
Orange was a "considerable drive away", so for the business traveller from Dubbo, he did not think it would be "a realistic option", he said.
Cr Lawrence said some other travellers may be influenced by prices, but he did not expect it would be the main factor.
"...unless you saw very significant differences [in prices] most people are going to be driven by convenience, in other words distance and time," he said.
The council would continue to "invest in an appropriate and sensible and strategic way" in its facility, the acting mayor said.
He cited works taking place on the airport apron, in addition to runway strengthening and other improvements previously.
"So we'll continue to invest in the airport in a sensible and appropriate way," Cr Lawrence said.
"And part of that, I should say, is about having appropriate pricing structures in terms of landing fees and security screening to ensure we can fund the work that's necessary."