A MAN has been taken to hospital after an emergency incident when a gas pipe was ruptured.
Emergency services were called to a laneway behind the Western Star Hotel on Erskine Street at 2.12pm on Monday following reports of a gas leak.
"Someone had broken through a 32 millimetre natural gas line with an excavator," Fire and Rescue NSW Dubbo Station Officer Steve Gilbert said.
"One of the workers became ill and got transported to hospital.
"Natural gas is an asphyxiant."
Gas leaks can be dangerous, Station Officer Gilbert said.
"You have a leak of natural gas under pressure and it vents into the atmosphere but the issue is any sparks in the area can cause a fire," he said.
"Jemena came in and clamped it down and then conducted repairs."
MAP: The location of the Western Star Hotel
Love local news?
Why not subscribe, the first 30 days of full website access is free.