THE cause of a grass and bushfire that ignited in the early hours of Tuesday morning in Dubbo is now under investigation.
Firefighters were called to a bushland area near the netball courts off MacLeay Street at 3.06am following reports of a fire.
"It was going fairly well when we got there, there had been a small fire there earlier in the evening, around 9pm," Fire and Rescue NSW Dubbo Station Officer Steve Gilbert said.
"There was grass and bush alight and it was reaching up into the trees. It was a about 70 metres long.
"It was burning up near the playing fields and near the river."
Station Officer Gilbert said thankfully the winds were calm and this aided in firefighters being able to gain control of the blaze quickly.
At this stage the cause of the fire is undetermined.
Two fire trucks from Dubbo were responded to the incident, along with a tanker from Delroy and the Fire and Rescue NSW bulk water tanker which is usually stationed in Cobar.
If you have any information call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Love local news?
Why not subscribe, the first 30 days of full website access is free.