More than $50 million in estimated insured losses have been claimed following the NSW and Queensland bushfires with plenty more to come, according to the industry's national peak body.
Insurance Council Australia spokesman Campbell Fuller told AAP more than 450 claims had been made from catastrophe areas as of 2pm on Wednesday, including 80 properties that could be total losses.
Mr Fuller said a NSW mid-north coast catastrophe declaration made by the ICA on Saturday - and extended to cover the Queensland communities of Yeppoon and Sunshine Coast on Wednesday - meant every claim would be prioritised by insurers.
"Within that, they'll also be triaged, so the customers with the most urgent needs will be the ones who receive the most direct assistance," he said.
"But to do that, customers need to lodge claims.
"It's a small number of claims at the moment - we expect that claims will continue to flow through in the next few days or even weeks."
Mr Fuller said he could not provide an estimated final number of claims.
"We never make predictions, because every single natural disaster is different," he said.
Mr Fuller advised policy-holders affected by the bushfires to contact their insurers as soon as possible, even if the extent of damage was yet to be determined.
"If they know their home has been badly damaged, then the insurer is made aware of it and can work out how best to help them, because that's what insurers try to do - lower or reduce the financial, physical and emotional distress that these property owners have experienced," he said.
"You will see more householders are returning to their properties, they've charged their phones, they've taken advice, been listening to the media and have contacted their insurers."
Australian Associated Press