Australian boxing legend Jeff Fenech has lavished praise on his protege Brock Jarvis after revealing the hot prospect suffered a major health scare in the lead-up to his next fight.
Fenech trains the 21-year-old Sydneysider (16-0, 15 KOs), who is set to fight recent super bantamweight world title challenger Ernesto Saulong (22-4. 9 KOs) on the Jeff Horn-Michael Zerafa undercard in Bendigo on August 31.
In preparation for the fight against his opponent from the Philippines, Jarvis was training in Thailand when he complained of intestine soreness.
"He was in pain and we jumped straight on the back of a motorbike and went straight to hospital," Fenech told AAP.
"He had scans, and within three hours, he was having emergency surgery."
Fenech said Jarvis was a fitness fanatic and had been back training the house down for the last ten days.
In his last fight back in March, Jarvis won the IBF Youth super bantamweight title with a first-round KO of another Filipino Philip Luis Cuerdo.
Fenech said the IBF had told him they were looking to put Jarvis into their top 15.
"I've never seen anyone with the skill level that this kid has got, that can pick things up so quick (and) he's a very good listener," Fenech said.
"He can do things I most probably could never have done, he's just so advanced.
"The precision and the way that he punches is as good as I've seen anywhere in the world."
Fenech is looking forward to the Bendigo main event, which pits former WBO welterweight world champion Horn (19-1, 13 KOs) against fellow Australian Zerafa (26-3, 15 KOs), two of whose losses were to former world champions.
"It's a good fight, Zerafa has improved," Fenech said.
"With Jeff Horn, I love the pressure, I love the intimidation, I love the work rate."
Australian Associated Press