Dubbo firefighters are reminding people to check their smoke alarms after two recent fires.
Fire and Rescue NSW Inspector Anthony Hojel said firefighters had attended two emergency calls to houses on fire in the last week where the smoke alarms had failed to operate.
"Only working smoke alarms help save lives," Inspector Hojel said.
"A fire can take hold in just three minutes, filling your home with deadly smoke. A working smoke alarm gives you vital seconds to get out before you're overcome.
ALSO MAKING NEWS:
"A smoke alarm with a flat battery is just as risky as not having a smoke alarm at all. That's why you should change your smoke alarm battery."
FRNSW recommends householders install photoelectric, interconnected and hard-wired smoke alarms that meet the Australian Standards.
FRNSW data shows 13 per cent of the 3,900 home fires in NSW last year occurred in properties with no working smoke alarms. More than half (56 per cent) of fatal house fires between 2000 and 2014 had no smoke alarms.