A Dubbo man accused of kidnapping his pregnant wife and her two children had previously stabbed an ex-lover and threatened to kill another, a court heard.
The 29-year-old was a "possessive" and "jealous" man on bail for breaching an apprehended violence order when the alleged kidnapping took place between May 15 and 17, the police prosecutor told Dubbo Local Court on Wednesday.
READ MORE: How the Daily Liberal first broke the story
At the time of the alleged offence, which involved the man taking the woman and children to Newcastle, the prosecutor said the man was also subject to a good behaviour order.
In a bid to get bail the man appeared in court via an audiovisual link from Junee Correctional Centre, where he stared blankly at a screen while his past crimes were divulged to the court.
The prosecutor said police opposed bail because of the man's history of committing domestic violence offences, which included breaking into an ex's house and ramming the car of another ex.
The man, who is also charged with choking the woman, was a "grave risk" to the community, the prosecutor said.
When stating the case for bail to be granted, the man's legal representative said his client "strenuously denied" committing the crimes.
The legal representative said the case against his client was not strong and the police force's evidence relied solely on the alleged victim.
"The defence will claim the woman attended the Newcastle address not only voluntarily, but on her suggestion," the legal representative said before he claimed there was at least one other witness who heard this conversation.
The prosecutor denied the police case relied solely on the alleged victim and said "her mother, text [and] Facebook messages" would form part of the case.
Magistrate Theresa Hamilton agreed with police and refused bail.
The case returns to court on July 24.