Labor has confirmed it will provide the $10 million required from the state’s coffers to build the Western Cancer Centre Dubbo, mirroring the Coalition.
Opposition spokesman for health Walt Secord also offered assurances current works to the $241 million redevelopment of Dubbo Hospital would continue and be completed if the party wins office on March 23.
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian visited the city to turn the first sod of the final stages of the upgrade in July.
The Coalition is committing $10 million for the $35 million cancer centre project, with the federal government stumping up $25 million.
Mr Secord confirmed Labor’s support for the projects during a visit to Dubbo on Friday.
“We’re committing to $10 million for Dubbo’s integrated cancer centre, which will give patients in western NSW which we believe access you could get in Sydney or Melbourne,” he said.
Nationals candidate for Dubbo Dugald Saunders said the $10 million for the cancer centre had already been committed by the Nationals via MP Troy Grant.
The rest of the hospital redevelopment, right up to stage four was all state funded because of the Nationals and Mr Grant, he said.
“Labor has had nothing to do with it at all,” he said.
“I have also promised $30 million for 350 extra car parking spaces at the hospital, which no other candidate is doing.”
Stage four of the redevelopment is scheduled for completion in 2021.
The 2018-2019 state budget contained $6 million to start work on the cancer centre.