A Queensland truck driver charged over the deaths of a young couple in a seven-vehicle crash near Dubbo in January is likely to face committal proceedings next month.
Robert Crockford, 50, appeared in person in Dubbo Local Court and sat holding crutches as 20 charges related to the fatal pile-up at roadworks were mentioned on Wednesday.
Gulargambone’s Hannah Ferguson, 19, and her 21-year-old boyfriend Reagen Skinner were killed and 10 others including a two-year-old girl were injured in the crash on January 16.
It was the first time Mr Crockford had appeared in person in the Dubbo court, having been granted conditional bail in the Supreme Court of NSW in August.
The matter has been mentioned in the court a number of times since Mr Crockford was charged in February.
On Wednesday the Crown noted the brief of evidence had only recently become substantially complete.
Magistrate Gary Wilson indicated to the parties the matter would be listed to committal in one week.
“It’s been dragging on forever,” he said.
But the Crown said an adjournment of two or three weeks would be preferable to allow for some “final preparations” and the magistrate said he would accede to the request.
The matter was listed for committal on November 14.
A Dubbo solicitor appearing as agent for the principal solicitor had earlier told the court there was an application for a bail variation.
The court granted the application to allow reporting to Kempsey Police Station as an alternative to the Queensland police station Mr Crockford had been required to attend.
Mr Crockford is charged with two counts of dangerous driving occasioning death, three counts of dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm and 15 related charges.
He was charged on February 2 when he was discharged from Liverpool Hospital, where he had been taken after the crash.
ALSO MAKING NEWS: