Group 11 2018: Dubbo CYMS survives Wellington test to seal grand final spot

Dubbo CYMS under 18s outfit isn’t doing it the easy way, but it is now just one win away from the Group 11 premiership.

The young Fishies overcame a massive challenge from the Wellington Cowboys in a heated preliminary final on Sunday.

Down by four points with seven minutes remaining, CYMS made the most of the sin-binning of Wellington’s Wendall Coe-Thorpe and scored an all-important try through Colby Peckham, before Matt Burton slotted a penalty on full-time to ice the 24-20 victory.

The hard-fought win means CYMS will play Forbes in the grand final.

“It was very stressful and we make things hard on ourselves,” coach Bernard Wilson said.

“Our second half was better but we invited Wellington into the game and they’re a good footy side.

“They’ve got some quality players and the score reflected that. I’ve said for a number of weeks now four sides can win it and now we’re down to two and luckily we’re there.”

Burton, again proving to be a standout, scored the game’s first try with a fine individual effort.

Wellington hit back in style when flying winger Aaron Kitch fielded a Timmy Boney-Stewart bomb and Will Allen’s sideline conversion locked it up at 6-all.

But CYMS was soon back in front when winger Samuel Thompson showed blistering pace to fly 80m down the wing and score, and things went from bad to worse for the Cowboys when star prop Daniel Stanley was sin-binned soon after.

CYMS capitalised immediately and scored through Aiden Lake and only a forward pass stopped them from landing another four-pointer.

Stanley returned to the field with immediate effect, a barnstorming run and off-load putting Wallace Bruce over, and the Cowboys centre’s second try saw the sides go into the sheds at 16-all.

The second half was a tough, physical and sometimes fiery affair, and it took nine minutes for the first points to be scored.

A towering bomb from Cowboys halfback Rylee Blackhall, a standout in the match, was spilt by CYMS fullback Harry Blake and that led to Wellington scoring out wide through Tristtan Thompson.

Allen’s kick missed and up by four, the Wellington defence went to another gear.

While the youngsters in maroon were doing a fine job, CYMS slowly got back into the contest and got their chance when Wendall Coe-Thorpe was binned by referee Willy Barnes for a professional foul just 15m out from his own line.

CYMS scored from the ensuing set, Colby Peckham powering over under the post and Burton’s goal put the Fishies in front with seven minutes to go.

CYMS held firm from there and a Burton penalty on the bell sealed the win.

“We’ve got another week to work on things and we’ve given ourselves a chance to win it, that’s the main thing,” Wilson said.

“We’ve got to be a lot better. Forbes are a quality side and definitely the standout side.

“They’ve got class all over the park. They’ve got a good pack and they’re edges are really nice.

“We’ll have to be at our best to to win it but we’ll have a crack at it.”​

There was ugly scenes at the end of the game as some Wellington players and fans gave referee Barnes a sarcastic standing ovation as he exited the field.​

  • DUBBO CYMS 24 (Matt Burton, Samuel Thompson, Aiden Lake, Colby Peckham tries; Burton 4 goals) defeated WELLINGTON COWBOYS 20 (Wallace Bruce 2, Aaron Kitch, Tristtan Thompson tries; Will Allen 2 goals)