Dubbo MP Troy Grant won’t run for re-election in 2019

Member for Dubbo Troy Grant has announced he will not stand for re-election in the 2019 NSW election. 

Mr Grant said it had been an incredible honour to be the voice of the Dubbo electorate in the NSW Parliament. 

“I entered State Parliament in 2011, and since then, I’ve felt privileged fighting for a better deal for our region,” he said.

“I’ve been focused on making sure our area, which was previously out of sight and mostly out of mind, became a priority for investment. I remain focused on continuing to bring record investment to our communities until the next election.

“The Dubbo electorate is a standout example of a thriving regional area thanks to our diverse economy, transport hub, tourism, strong agricultural sector and salt of the earth people. I might be biased, but it is truly one of the best places to live in NSW, if not Australia.”

Mr Grant made the announcement on social media that he would not be running at the next state election.

“Running for Parliament in 2019 is not the right decision for my family or me,” he said.

“To serve your community as a regional MP you need to make enormous sacrifices and put your heart and soul into the role, and I can no longer give this role my all after the next election.

“My retirement from politics will allow me to pursue new opportunities and allow me to spend more time with my family during this important time in their lives.

“I cannot thank my family enough for allowing me to serve and I’ll be forever grateful for their love, support and sacrifice.”

Mr Grant was elected to the seat of Dubbo at the 2011 election. 

NSW Nationals Chairman Bede Burke said Mr Grant’s service to regional communities was exemplary and his legacy would be one of dedication.

“Right across NSW, our towns and regional centres have been left better off thanks to Troy,” Mr Burke said.

“Whether it be the major drop in crime rates, a greater appreciation of the arts in our regional communities or the upgrades to hundreds of emergency services stations and equipment, all can be traced back to Troy’s time in Government.”

In announcing that he won’t be running, Mr Grant said he will continue to work for Dubbo constituents until election day 2019.

“I would like to thank the great people of the Dubbo electorate for the trust they have placed in me and I look forward to continuing to work with them right up until Saturday, March 23, 2019.”

“I have worked hard to not only ensure the Dubbo electorate gets its fair share, but that all of country NSW prospers.”