Member for Dubbo Troy Grant has announced he will not stand for re-election in the 2019 NSW election.
In a statement Mr Grant said it had been an incredible honour to be the voice of the Dubbo electroate in the NSW Parliament.
“I entered State Parliament in 2011, and since then, I’ve felt privileged fighting for a better deal for our region. I’ve been focused on making sure our area, which was previously out of sight and mostly out of mind, became a priority for investment. I remain focused on continuing to bring record investment to our communities until the next election.
“The Dubbo electorate is a standout example of a thriving regional area thanks to our diverse economy, transport hub, tourism, strong agricultural sector and salt of the earth people. I might be biased, but it is truly one of the best places to live in NSW, if not Australia.
“Our community has seen unprecedented investment in local infrastructure and services, including hospital redevelopments, road upgrades and education spending.
“I have worked tirelessly since my first day in the job to transform our region and I feel enormously humbled and grateful for having been given the opportunity at two state elections,” Mr Grant said.
In a statement on his Facebook Mr Grant said he could not commit to working in state politics until at least 2023, and would therefore will not put his name forward for re-election.
“Running for Parliament in 2019 is not the right decision for my family or me. To serve your community as a regional local member you need to make enormous sacrifices and put your heart and soul into the role, and I can no longer give this role my all after the next election.
Mr Grant was elected to the seat of Dubbo at the 2011 election.
“In my inaugural speech, I said I was just an ordinary bloke with an extraordinary opportunity and I have dedicated every day since to making the most of this opportunity for the betterment of NSW.
“I have long described myself as a son of regional NSW having called many towns home, and I have worked hard to not only ensure the Dubbo electorate gets its fair share, but that all of country NSW prospers.
“I would like to thank the great people of the Dubbo electorate for the trust they have placed in me and I look forward to continuing to work with them right up until Saturday, March 23, 2019.
“The next member will need to give their all, make significant sacrifices and have the ability to form strong relationships with key decision makers to ensure the electorate’s success.
“My retirement from politics will allow me to pursue new opportunities and allow me to spend more time with my family during this important time in their lives. I cannot thank my family enough for allowing me to serve and I’ll be forever grateful for their love, support and sacrifice.
“I want to thank my amazing local supporters, branch members, my staff, government agencies and the broader community for all their support since I left my career in the NSW Police force to campaign for the seat of Dubbo in Parliament. I am truly grateful.”