Gas leak: Hundreds evacuated

MORE than 600 people including school children were evacuated amid a gas leak in Dubbo this afternoon.

Emergency services including three fire crews were called to the corner of Wingewarra Street and Carrington Avenue about 2pm. 

Senior fire officials said it appears workers nearby have ruptured a 75mm gas main in the area. 

The Dubbo Public School along with residents nearby were evacuated from classrooms and homes as precaution. 

The gas main was shut down, and crews were this afternoon making observations with gas detectors to determine when it was safe for students and residents to return. 

Find out the full story in tomorrow's Daily Liberal

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop