Crash which killed young boy to be investigated

Lachlan Local Area Command detectives continue to investigate the death of a young boy in a single-vehicle crash near Tottenham on the weekend.

The eight-year-old was in the car with his father when it crashed on Saturday afternoon west of Tottenham.

Police allege neither was wearing a seatbelt, Lachlan command Detective Sergeant Steve Howard said yesterday.

It had been established that the boy was a passenger in the utility and after a day working together on a property the pair was driving towards Tottenham a dirt section of Bobadah Road, he said.

Both were allegedly unrestrained and when the father lost control of the car, the boy was ejected, he said.

The NSW Ambulance Service attended the scene about 24km from Tottenham to treat the boy suffering significant injuries.

“At 3.29pm we received a triple-0 call for a single vehicle accident,” NSW Ambulance paramedic Kristie Sky said.

“The paramedic attempted to resuscitate the child but unfortunately the child was pronounced dead on arrival at Tottenham hospital.”

The driver was subjected to a roadside breath test with negative result, a statement from police said. Lachlan detectives were investigating and a report would be prepared for the information of the NSW Coroner, Det Sgt Howard said yesterday.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop