Chopper transfers burns victim to hospital after house fire

A man has been airlifted to a Sydney hospital with significant burns after a serious fire at a home in Parkes on Monday night.

Police also have concerns for the well-being of another man believed to have been at the home when the fire occurred on Miller Street about 6.30pm.

A 21-year-old man sustained burns to 20 per cent of his body, and was treated at Parkes Hospital before being airlifted to Royal North Shore Hospital Intensive Care Unit suffering burns to both legs and his right arm.

According to police, he is reported to be in a serious but stable condition.

A 28-year-old man was believed to have left the scene before emergency services arrived, and police are now keen to find him to ensure he was not also injured, and to establish the circumstances of how the fire occurred.

A container of petrol has been seized from the scene and will undergo forensic examination.

It’s believed the men may have been smoking at the time the fire broke out, however officers are keen to confirm the exact cause with the other man.